Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links, meaning if you decide to make a purchase through my links I may earn a commission at no additional cost to you. See my disclosure for more info.
My middle child is a great eater…as long as it’s all carbs.
My oldest and youngest are much better about eating most foods but my middle just has an appetite for, well, all the good things in life. Pasta, Cereal, Bread, Crackers, and Bagels are all guaranteed to be scarfed down, while things like fruits, veggies and protein aren’t as sought after.
One meal that I can pack with protein and I know will get eaten by all of my kids is spaghetti. I make it in some form at least once per week and my kids eat seconds and sometimes even thirds! Just plain old spaghetti gets boring week after week so I make it a few different ways, my husband’s favorite being baked spaghetti.
Baked Spaghetti is a creamy and cheesy casserole, almost like lasagna with spaghetti noodles! Best of all? It makes the BEST leftovers! One recipe makes enough for 2-3 dinners for my family of 5.
I start by browning 1/2 pound of mild Italian sausage (you can use spicy too, my kids just can’t handle the heat) and 1/2 pound of ground beef.
Add in 1 small onion diced and then drain the fat. To make the meat in small enough pieces (so my middle guy can’t pick it out), I use a potato masher while the meat is still raw and cook it while mashing.
Add sauce to your meat mixture and let it simmer on low while you cook your pasta.While your sauce is simmering, cook up 1lb of spaghetti (one box). When I can find a box of cut spaghetti, I use that for my family. One less step for me to have to cut it for the kids! The cut spaghetti is hard to find though, regular spaghetti works too.While the spaghetti cooks, mix together 4 tablespoons of melted butter (half stick) with 1/2 cup of parmesan cheese and 2 eggs. When your spaghetti is finished cooking, drain it and then mix in your cheese and egg mixture.Spread a little sauce on the bottom of a 9″x13″ baking dish and top with half of the spaghetti mixture.I mean…doesn’t this just make your mouth water already? I haven’t even gotten to the best part!
Spread half of a package of cottage cheese over your noodles, top with half of your sauce mixture and then about 1 cup of mozzarella cheese.
Repeat the layers with the rest of your noodles, cottage cheese and sauce. Leave the rest of the mozzarella aside and cover with aluminum foil. Bake at 350 degrees for 40 minutes.Remove the foil, top with the remaining mozzarella cheese and bake until the cheese is melted, about 10-15 minutes.Just look at that GOOEY MELTY CHEESE!My boys all (including my husband) go nuts over this right out of the oven! I sure hope your family loves this as much as mine does! It’s a regular on the menu over here.
- 1/2 lb Ground Italian Sausage
- 1/2 lb Ground Beef
- 1 small Onion, Diced
- 1 jar Of Your Favorite Spaghetti Sauce
- 1 lb (1 box) Spaghetti
- 4 tbsp Melted Butter
- 1/2 c Parmesan Cheese
- 2 large Eggs
- 16 oz Container of Cottage Cheese
- 2 c Mozzarella Cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Brown Italian sausage and ground beef together with onion. Drain and add spaghetti sauce. Turn heat down to low and let simmer.
- Cook spaghetti according to package. While spaghetti is cooking, mix together the butter, parmesan cheese and eggs.
- Drain spaghetti and mix in the cheese/butter/egg mixture.
- Spread a little sauce on the bottom of a 9″x13″ and top with half of the spaghetti noodle mixture. Spread half of the cottage cheese over top of the noodles and then half of the sauce over that. Sprinkle on half of your mozzarella cheese and then repeat the layers, leaving the other half of the mozzarella aside.
- Cover with foil and bake for 40 minutes.
- Remove foil, sprinkle on the remaining mozzarella cheese and bake again until the cheese melts, about 10-15 minutes.
- Serve and enjoy!