Welcome to Jasmine’s Workout Wednesdays. As a mom, I know how hard it is to fit in time for yourself. So each week I’ll feature a new workout that’s easy to do and requires minimal time. Let’s pledge to spend at least 10 minutes a day to better our health, and together we can do this!
Last week we talked about what to eat before a workout, but this week we are going to discuss what to eat after. You see, eating right after your workout is actually the best time of the day to eat. The foods you eat after a workout plays an important role on how your body recovers and rebuilds itself as well as determining whether the calories you eat will be used as fuel or stored as fat.
The goal is to try to eat enough calories to equal 50% of the calories you burned during your workout. So consuming something high in carbohydrates and proteins, would be ideal.
The recommended meal after a workout is actually a liquid one. One of my absolute favorite post-workout shakes is a simple Blueberry Banana Shake.
- 10 oz vanilla soy milk
- 1 cup low-fat blueberry yogurt
- 1/2 cup frozen blueberries
- 1/2 bananaBlend until shake reaches desired consistency.
Other post-workout food options are:
- Turkey, ham, chicken, or roast beef sandwich
- Cottage cheese with fruit- I prefer pineapple in mine.
- Bread, a bagel, or an English muffin with almond butter or cheese
- Stir-fry with vegetables. chicken or shrimp
- Yogurt with fruit
- Veggie omelet with wheat toast
- Crackers with low fat cheese
- Rice cakes
- A protein or energy bar- I love Luna Bars
There are a lot of options but the goal is to eat any regular meal that contains lean protein and carbohydrates.