This post may contain affiliate links. This means if you click on the link and purchase the item, I will receive an affiliate commission at no extra cost to you. All opinions remain my own.
Ahhh, birthday banners. They are everywhere these days! From the time I saw Simply Real Mom Marcie’s first birthday banner for her son Reece, I knew I was going to do one for my daughter (who was two months old at the time).
I researched the banners on Pinterest and had way too much fun in the scrapbooking section at my local craft store before I finally figured out how I was going to create my masterpiece!
There are a ton of ways to create a photo banner—different themes, sizes, layouts, etc. I decided to make two rows of horizontal photos and hang them by a ribbon above the fireplace.
Below is a short tutorial on how I did it. When you make your own photo banner, consider the following:
• Where will you be hanging it?
• Will you be using all vertical photos, all horizontal photos or a combination of both?
• Does your party have a theme you want to follow (ladybugs, fish, Elmo, etc)?
• Do you have good photos of you child from each month of his/her first year?
Answering these questions will help you create a banner that’s perfect for your child’s first birthday party!
• photos (newborn – one year old)
• double-sided tape
• scrapbooking paper and cardstock in different colors
• hole punch
• decorative punch
• yarn pom poms
How to Make It
- Choose a piece of card stock (I bought a pack of pastels to match my scrapbooking paper) and a coordinating piece of scrapbooking paper. Cut out scrapbooking paper so it is slightly smaller than cardstock and slightly larger than photo to form a border.
- Use double-sided tape to secure papers and photo together.
- Print out labels on white paper (1 month, 2 months, 3 months, etc.). Trace a small circle around text (I used a small flashlight to get a perfect circle) and cut out with scissors.
- Using decorative punch, make a flower shape with coordination scrapbook paper.
- Tape small circle with text to flower shape, then tape to photo.
- Punch two holes at the top of the photo.
- Repeat with all months, then string photos together with thin piece of ribbon.
- Hang like bunting across fireplace mantel. Add yarn pom poms to corners as added decoration. See how to make them here.
When the party is over, you will have a beautiful keepsake of your child’s first year!