This post may contain affiliate links. This means if you click on the link and purchase the item, I will receive an affiliate commission at no extra cost to you. All opinions remain my own.
Ready for a summer adventure? PBS KIDS announced its first “Summer Safari” – a learning initiative to help bridge the summer learning gap.
PBS KIDS’ Summer Safari includes specials and new episodes from DINOSAUR TRAIN, WILD KRATTS, CURIOUS GEORGE and WORDGIRL, and free digital tools for parents and kids. Programming highlights include:
- Monday, June 15: DINOSAUR TRAIN: Zeppelin Adventure premiere
- Wednesday, July 1: WILD KRATTS: Back in Creature Time
- Wednesdays in July: WILD KRATTS Wednesdays (new episodes every Wednesday)
- Monday, August 17: World television premiere of CURIOUS GEORGE 3: Back to the Jungle
- June – August: new episodes of WORDGIRL
This summer, PBS KIDS is encouraging kids and their families to continue learning beyond the school year with a “Summer Safari” of content and activities. Developed to help bridge the summer learning gap, PBS KIDS’ Summer Safari includes specials and new episodes from DINOSAUR TRAIN, WILD KRATTS, CURIOUS GEORGE and WORDGIRL, free digital tools for parents and kids, and partnerships with AARP Foundation Experience Corps, I Can Read books published by Harper Collins Children’s Books, Reading Is Fundamental and National PTA that bring learning activities directly to communities.
“Research shows that it is critical to support children’s learning during the summer months to help prevent learning loss while they are out of school,” said Lesli Rotenberg, General Manager, Children’s Media, PBS. “PBS KIDS and our member stations are committed to making summer a fun and enriching time for all kids. Through this year’s Summer Safari programming, national partnerships and community activities, we will provide free PBS KIDS resources to families, helping them learn and explore during the summer months.”
- DINOSAUR TRAIN: Zeppelin Adventure: PBS KIDS Summer Safari kicks off in June with one-hour specials from DINOSAUR TRAIN every week, including the premiere of DINOSAUR TRAIN: Zeppelin Adventure on Monday, June 15. In this all-new one-hour special, the Pteranodon family takes off on the Dinosaur Train Zeppelin to explore the continent of Pangea.
- WILD KRATTS Wild Wednesdays: July is jam-packed with WILD KRATTS fun every Wednesday. The month kicks off on Wednesday, July 1, with the hit movie WILD KRATTS: Back in Creature Time. Two new episodes of WILD KRATTS premiere each of the following Wednesdays in July. In addition, “Rhino Bowl,” an online game from WILD KRATTS, debuts this summer at pbskids.org. In this new mobile-friendly adventure, players must use rhinoceros-strength creature power to save the day.
- CURIOUS GEORGE 3: Back to the Jungle: On Monday, August 17, the hit 2009 movie CURIOUS GEORGE 2: FOLLOW THAT MONKEY is followed by the world television premiere of CURIOUS GEORGE 3: Back to the Jungle. In the movie, George goes on an epic adventure to space that crash lands in the jungles of Africa, leading to an unforgettable journey with some new animal friends.
- WORDGIRL: This summer, WORDGIRL flies onto screens from coast-to-coast and flexes her crime-solving muscles in 20 never-before-seen episodes on PBS KIDS digital platforms, including pbskids.org and the PBS KIDS Video App. Two episodes per week will premiere on air and on digital platform