This post may contain affiliate links. This means if you click on the link and purchase the item, I will receive an affiliate commission at no extra cost to you. All opinions remain my own.
Chocolate, vanilla and strawberry. These classic flavors come together in Neapolitan ice cream to form a crowd-pleasing favorite. But recently, recipes featuring Neapolitan flavors have been popping up everywhere, especially in cake! I decided to tackle an easy cupcake for my first foray into the land of Neapolitan. The results were delicious and adorable! These would be great for any kid’s birthday party or special occasion. The adults will love them, too!
- 1 white cake mix (plus vegetable oil, eggs and water)
- 1 chocolate cake mix (plus vegetable oil, eggs and water)
- strawberry frosting
- chocolate sprinkles
- cupcake liners
1. Preheat oven according to cake mix package instructions.
2. Mix up white cake and chocolate cake batters separately according to package instructions.
3. Line two cupcake pans with white paper liners (do not use foil or the Neapolitan effect will not show through).
4. Spoon chocolate cake batter into cups (should be about 1/3 full).
5. Spoon white cake batter directly on top of chocolate batter (so they are 2/3 full).
6. Bake according to package instructions.
NOTE: You will have leftover batter! You can make more cupcakes, or just swirl batters together in a cake pan for a small marble cake.
7. Allow cupcakes to cool, remove from pan and ice with strawberry frosting. Sprinkle chocolate sprinkles over the top.
NOTE: You can make your own strawberry frosting by substituting fresh pureed strawberries for milk in a basic buttercream frosting recipe.