This post may contain affiliate links. This means if you click on the link and purchase the item, I will receive an affiliate commission at no extra cost to you. All opinions remain my own.
I like to think that mine is an All American Family. We love sports, rock & roll, playing outside in the dirt and we love good bbq food.
In the summers, our get-togethers with friends turn from indoor sit-down dinners to outdoor shenanigans with the kids squealing with delight over some sort of water play and the adults grilling up some delicious meats and enjoying ice-cold refreshments while catching up on the latest bits of life.
Last year, I came across a recipe for an Amish-style macaroni salad and I knew it was something I needed to try for our next bbq get-together. I spent the younger part of my childhood in Eastern Pennsylvania close to an Amish community and am under the impression that the Amish know how to cook something fierce. They are amazing folks, and their food is pretty amazing so I tried this version of macaroni salad. I tweaked the original a bit to fit our preferences but
OH. MY. GOSH.
It was a hit at that first party, and now we make it for every summer get-together. It’s the perfect blend of sauce, pasta, and crunch with a little bit of a sweet kick and a surprise of hard-boiled eggs in the mix. The eggs were a big part of what sold me on the salad, but man oh man there just isn’t anything wrong with this recipe. It’s just GOOD.
Hope your family enjoys it as much as mine does! I used to only make half the recipe, but now my husband requests I make the full recipe for plenty of leftovers. It chills well and is great for lunch the next day (and the day after that!).
Most Amazing Macaroni Salad Ever
- 1 lb salad macaroni
- 6 hard-boiled eggs (chopped)
- 3 celery ribs, diced small
- 2 cups mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/8 cup yellow mustard
- 2 tbsp dill pickle relish
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 3/4 tsp celery seed
- Cook the macaroni according to directions, drain and place in ice water to cool.
- In a bowl, mix mayo, sugar, mustard, relish, vinegar and celery seed until well blended and set aside.
- Drain the macaroni and place into a bowl (I like to dry it on a towel before placing into a bowl, but that’s just the crazy in me!)
- Add celery and eggs.
- Pour the dressing over the pasta/eggs/celery. I usually use almost all of the dressing, but if you prefer not to have as much dressing, start with half and see how it goes.
- Once mixed, place it into refrigerator until you are ready to serve.