This post may contain affiliate links. This means if you click on the link and purchase the item, I will receive an affiliate commission at no extra cost to you. All opinions remain my own.
I am a sucker for artichokes. You know the old “If you could only eat one thing for the rest of your life, what would it be?” question? It would be pretty simple for me.
MY artichoke love affair all started at a little restaurant near Napa California called Rutherford Grill. Sure, I had had artichokes in all forms before that but Jasmine and I were there for her birthday and she raved about their grilled artichokes and ordered them for us. I was in awe. This artichoke was hands down the best thing I had ever eaten in my life.
But I live 2 hours away from Rutherford Grill and I can’t drive all that way for an appetizer all the time so I had to find a way to make something that could hold me over till I could make the trek again.
After researching, I came up with the method I would use to make them and after a few trials I think I have found my own simple recipe for delicious grilled artichokes, as well as some dipping sauces that compliment the artichokes perfectly!
Grilled Artichokes with Pesto & Chipotle Dipping Sauces
- Fresh Artichokes (as many as you like)
- Garlic Salt
- Olive Oil
- Bring a pot of water big enough to hold your artichokes to a boil.
- While water is heating up, prepare artichokes by clipping the pointy ends of each leaf and chopping each artichoke in half.
- Season water with garlic salt to taste, I usually use a few tablespoons in a pasta pot full of water.
- Place halved artichokes in the seasoned water and boil for 20 minutes.
- Remove artichokes from water and let drain and cool off for a few minutes.
- Using a spoon, remove the centers from each artichoke half. Get all the purple leaves and silky hairs out.
- Brush olive oil all over each artichoke, then sprinkle it with garlic salt all over. I like to hold the artichoke upright and let the garlic salt fall into all the crevices between the leaves.
- Place on the grill for 15 minutes, flipping them about halfway through.
- Enjoy with the pesto and chipotle dipping sauces.
The other dip I use is the Chipotle Just Mayo from Hampton Creek. This is THE best condiment in the world. We eat it on a lot of things (it’s killer good as a sauce on fish tacos too!) but it makes for an amazing dip for these grilled artichokes! Even if you don’t use it for these artichokes, get some for a sandwich or a burger because WHOA.
Enjoy! These are so simply made and the perfect starter to a delicious meal (or the perfect afternoon snack for me!)
*We were not compensated to mention any brands in this post. We promote what we love!