This post may contain affiliate links. This means if you click on the link and purchase the item, I will receive an affiliate commission at no extra cost to you. All opinions remain my own.
Not anymore! This quick recipe is as simple as can be! You don’t need many ingredients and you can have a homemade, hot, delicious lunch on the table within a half hour. And let’s be honest, on a chilly fall day, a hot bowl of soup is always preferable to a cold sandwich!
- Two medium-sized onions
- Gruyere cheese
- Four slices thick sandwich bread or Melba toast (found in grocery store)
- Four cups beef broth
- 2 tablespoons butter
- salt and pepper
- Dice onions and sauté in skillet with butter and salt and pepper to taste.
- Make beef broth with bouillon cubes and add onions to broth. Taste and season with salt and pepper if needed.
- Pour soup into individual oven-proof bowls. Top with bread, then a generous slice of Gruyere cheese.
- Put in oven under broiler for about five minutes or until cheese melts.