This post may contain affiliate links. This means if you click on the link and purchase the item, I will receive an affiliate commission at no extra cost to you. All opinions remain my own.
I’m married to a man who is borderline addicted to hole-in-the-wall taquerias. We have the pleasure of living in a place where the Mexican food is amazing and not exactly in short supply, but I can’t eat out all the time. I just can’t.
And so, I’ve been on a quest to make my own taqueria-style food at home that tastes as close to the real thing as possible. I’ve perfected a chicken recipe (coming soon!) that is so killer good in tacos, burritos, nachos, quesadillas, or in a rice bowl with this delicious rice I’m sharing with you today.
I took some ideas from a few different recipes and my husband says this is his favorite version by far and LOVES when I make it. (DISCLAIMER: I know this is not “authentic” Mexican rice…it’s just in the style of our favorite Mexican taquerias).
Drool Worthy Taqueria Style Rice
- 1 tbsp Butter
- 1 c Rice
- 2 c Water
- 1 Cube of Caldo de Tomate
- Sprinkle of Chili Powder
- 1/2 tsp Garlic Powder
- 1/2 tsp Onion Powder
- In 2 cups of water, add Caldo de Tomate, Chili Powder, Garlic Powder and Onion Powder and mix
- Melt butter in a saucepan
- Add rice to saucepan and cook for a minute or two, until the rice starts to brown a little
- Once rice is browned, add your spiced water mixture and combine until it startes to boil
- Turn down to low and cover, cook for 15 minutes or until all water is absorbed
- Serve warm with your favorite Mexican meal!