This post may contain affiliate links. This means if you click on the link and purchase the item, I will receive an affiliate commission at no extra cost to you. All opinions remain my own.
One of my favorite meals is Tortilla Soup, so I was very excited to learn to make this and share. It is so easy and I can make a vegetarian version for myself and a chicken version for my family at the same time. Crockpot meals are very convenient when working with two children. I am always looking for healthy and delicious meals to feed our family of four.
Overall the soup is pretty healthy. There are also alternatives you can add such as chili powder to spice the soup up a bit, but I am not a huge fan of spicy food so for me this was a perfect recipe. I did opt for the fire roasted corn which was great and not hot at all once added to the soup. The tortilla strips are so easy to make and really made the soup as well as the avocado.
- Chicken Tortilla Soup Recipe
- 1 lb chicken breast cooked and shredded
- 1 15 oz can corn ( I like the fire roasted if using canned)
- 1½ 15 oz diced tomatoes drained
- 1 can black beans, drained
- 6 cups chicken stock
- ½ cup onion chopped
- 2 tsp. minced garlic
- 1½ tsp. salt
- ¾ tsp. pepper
- monterey jack cheese, shredded
- corn tortillas for chip topping we cut and fried corn tortillas
- avocados sliced
- Cook and shred (or cube) chicken. ( I like to add a little garlic salt)
- Add all the ingredients, except the cheese, corn tortilla strips and avocados to your crock pot. Cook on high for 3-4 hours.
- Add cheese just before serving.
- To make this soup extra delicious, add some crunchy tortilla strips. Slice up corn tortillas with a pizza cutter. Flash Fry in hot oil and sprinkle on top of your soup. Add slicked avocados too, so Good!!!
I picked up most of the ingredients I needed at my local Target, that is how easy everything was to find. I get very frustrated when recipes call for unfamiliar and hard to find ingredients. You may even have everything you need already at home, so definitely try this out.