This post may contain affiliate links. This means if you click on the link and purchase the item, I will receive an affiliate commission at no extra cost to you. All opinions remain my own.
There is something about butternut squash that gets me so excited for the holiday season. With Thanksgiving getting closer, you may already be trying to plan your menu or maybe you have a fun party you will be bringing appetizers to this October. Whatever it is, these Butternut Squash, Ricotta and Sage Crostini’s are the perfect appetizer to any event this Fall.
This appetizer is not only easy, but look how gorgeous they look? The presentation of these crostini’s will have everyone impressed!
If you are like me and always seem to be running late to everything, you can actually prep ahead. The butternut squash, sage leaves, and ricotta can be made the day before. Just make sure to bring the butternut squash to room temperature before serving the day of.
- 2lb butternut squash, peeled, seeded, cut into ½' cubes (about 4 cups)
- 3½ tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided, plus more for drizzling
- 1½ teaspoons packed) light brown sugar
- Salt and pepper
- 24 fresh sage leaves
- ¾ cup fresh ricotta
- ½ teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
- 12⅜'-thick baguette slices, toasted
- Fresh lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 425°.
- Toss squash, 2 Tbsp. oil, and sugar in a large bowl. Season with salt and pepper. Arrange in a single layer on a rimmed baking sheet. Roast, tossing occasionally, until squash is golden and tender, 25-30 minutes. Let cool on sheet.
- Heat 1½ Tbsp. oil in a small skillet over medium-high heat. Add sage; cook until edges begin to curl and turn dark green, 1–2 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, carefully transfer to paper towels to drain.
- Mix ricotta and lemon zest in a small bowl. Season with salt and pepper.
- Spread 1 Tbsp. of ricotta mixture on each baguette slice. Top each with a few squash cubes. Drizzle crostini with lemon juice and olive oil. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Top crostini with 2 fried sage leaves each.