This post may contain affiliate links. This means if you click on the link and purchase the item, I will receive an affiliate commission at no extra cost to you. All opinions remain my own.
If you haven’t figured it out by now, I am a huge butternut squash fan. I am pretty sure I could live off it all winter long with the different recipes you can make. One of my favorite ways to incorporate butternut squash is in a pizza.
The flavors in this butternut squash pizza are delectable. Something about the caramelized onions baked with butternut squash and feta cheese leaves you dreaming about every bite.
This pizza has easily become my favorite pizza and it’s the perfect pizza for the winter.
- 2 cups of 1-inch pieces of peeled and seeded winter squash
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- Pinch of salt and white pepper
- 1 medium red onion, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- ½ teaspoon balsamic vinegar
- 2 cups baby spinach or baby kale
- 6 ounces goat cheese, crumbled
- Cornmeal for dusting pizza pan
- 1 package premade pizza dough (Trader Joe’s makes an Herb pizza dough that is amazing)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Line a baking sheet pan with foil. Coat foil with vegetable oil spray.
- Place cubed winter squash in a bowl and toss with 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil and the pinch of salt and white pepper. Place squash in an even layer on prepared pan. Roast until tender, about 15 to 18 minutes depending on how hard the squash is.
- While squash is roasting, prepare onions. Place the 1 teaspoon butter in a sauté pan. When melted, add onions. Cook until onions begin to caramelize, stirring now and then. Sprinkle with the sugar and vinegar. Add baby spinach or kale and remove from heat. Cover and let wilt.
- Increase oven heat to 400 degrees. If you have a pizza stone, place it in the oven to preheat it. If you don’t, you can use an inverted sheet pan and place it in the oven.
- Place premade pizza crust on your work surface. Top with the caramelized onions-spinach/kale mixture and squash. Dot pizza with crumbled goat cheese.
- Dust stone or inverted sheet pan with cornmeal. Carefully place pizza on the stone/pan. Bake in preheated oven 10 to 12 minutes or until goat cheese begins to melt and turn a light brown.
- Remove from oven and cut into 8 slices.