This post may contain affiliate links. This means if you click on the link and purchase the item, I will receive an affiliate commission at no extra cost to you. All opinions remain my own.
Recipes from my Mother’s Kitchen
It was the best butter. ~ Lewis Carroll
When I was in elementary school, my mother started making what she calls “Better Butter.” As a family, we love butter, but my mom hates how unhealthy it is. Not wanting to resort to margarine because of it being chemically based, she came up with this recipe with a friend. Your family will love Better Butter, not only because it’s a healthier butter option, but it is so spreadable! Better Butter takes only minutes to prepare and will last twice as long as a typical pound of butter. Better Butter is a great way to cut back on fatty acids! You can even use it with cooking and baking!
Better Butter is so simple to make! Take out your food processor, some air tight containers (I use Pyrex glass containers) and equal parts butter and oil. I like to use canola oil because it is a healthier oil. Canola oil is low in saturated fats and has a high content of omega-3 fatty acids (which may have potential positive health benefits!).
- 1 lb butter (four sticks)
- 2 cups canola or vegetable oil
- Set the butter out to soften.
- Add the softened butter to your food processor.
- Add 1 cup of oil.
- Pulse the food processor 5-10 times.
- Place the lid on the food processor and turn it on, adding the rest of the oil as it blends.
- Empty the creamy, smooth butter into containers.
- Keep refrigerated until serving.
You can make more or less butter. Simply always use equal parts butter and oil. For example, with 2 sticks of butter, use one cup of oil.