This post may contain affiliate links. This means if you click on the link and purchase the item, I will receive an affiliate commission at no extra cost to you. All opinions remain my own.
If you’re anything like me, you love to eat freshly grilled food in the summer. This is my all-time favorite marinade for chicken and vegetables. We marinade chicken and vegetables (in separate containers!), then make shish-kabobs on the grill all the time! So great!
There are A LOT of ingredients in this marinade. But–trust me–once you make this and eat it, you will never, ever go back to a store bought marinade. It is, quite simply, the best marinade you will ever eat.
When you finish making your marinade, marinade your meat first. Put it in a container with the marinade and refrigerate it for a few hours to get the best flavor. Make sure you put your vegetables in a separate container with marinade. The vegetables do NOT need to be in the marinade nearly as long. They just need a short time to get the full flavors. My favorite vegetables to use with chicken shish-kabobs are little onions, peppers and mushrooms. Mmmmm!
|Best Homemade Marinade||
- 1 stalk fresh lemon grass
- 1/2 bunch fresh chopped mint
- 5 cloves of garlic
- 1 serrano pepper, sliced and minced
- 2 Tbs chopped cilantro stems
- 2 Tbs chopped ginger root
- 3 green onions, chopped
- 1-2 tsp peanut butter
- 2 Tsb brown sugar
- 1-2 Tbs coconut milk
- 1 lime- juice from it
- 1/4 cup of nonfat yogurt
- 2 Tbs low-sodium soy sauce
- Slice off and discard all but the bottom 3 inches of lemon grass root.
- With a mallet or rolling pin, pound the base of the stock to release the aromatic oils.
- Combine stalk in a food processor with mint, garlic, pepper, cilantro, ginger and green onions.
- Process, using short burst-for 30 seconds.
- Add remaining ingredients and process for one minute in the food processor.