This post may contain affiliate links. This means if you click on the link and purchase the item, I will receive an affiliate commission at no extra cost to you. All opinions remain my own.
I found this recipe through Martha Stewart and decided to use a little green food coloring to make them more tree-like. They are chewy, sweet and rich! Just make sure Santa likes coconut!
- 2 ½ cups finely shredded coconut
- ¾ cup sugar
- 2 large egg whites, lightly beaten
- 5 teaspoons vanilla extract (for a cherry-flavored macaroon, use almond extract)
- Pinch of salt
- Powdered sugar, for dusting
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Combine coconut, sugar, egg whites, vanilla, salt and food coloring in a mixing bowl.
- With two tablespoons of mixture, form into miniature trees. Pinch tops to make top of tree.
- Place on a parchment paper-lined baking sheet one inch apart.
- Bake until edges are golden and trees are firm, 12-14 minutes.
- Let cool at least 15 minutes. Dust with powdered sugar.