Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links, meaning if you decide to make a purchase through my links I may earn a commission at no additional cost to you. See my disclosure for more info.
The winter months can mean a long time of not being able to run and play outside on playgrounds. For those of us with active children, the winter can seem to drag on and on. Physical activity is not only healthy for our kids physically, but they need to be active to keep everyone sane and happy! Read on for inside and outside ideas to keep your kids moving this winter:
- Have a dance party! Put on some kid friendly music and get everyone dancing. Make it even more fun by playing dance freeze!
- Too cold to have a snowball fight outside? Crumple up paper inside to have a family snowball fight! Use couch cushions as barriers and let loose!
- Make an obstacle course in your house.
- Put on a workout video and exercise as a family!
- Have your children help you shovel the sidewalk.
- Go sledding, tubing, skiing or snowboarding.
- Put on your snow gear and go to the playground–in the snow! Going down a snow covered slide is FUN!
- Do chores together–Bonus! Clean house and active children.
- Play Simon Says.
- Find an indoor place to swim and play such as the YMCA.
- Build a fort.
- Even if you’re watching TV with the kids, get active. Get up and run in place, do squats or do crunches during commercials.
- Go bowling.
- Hit the mall and walk laps.
- Get everyone a pedometer and have a family walk off! Make a chart to see who can walk the most steps. Track daily, weekly and monthly winners!
Do you have anything you love to do in the winter with your children to keep them moving? Share your ideas in the comments! For other great indoor tips for preschoolers, read Fun Being Stuck Indoors!