Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links, meaning if you decide to make a purchase through my links I may earn a commission at no additional cost to you. See my disclosure for more info.
With school back, it means our mornings are also back to being hectic. I now have two kids in school, which means our morning routine just got a little more chaotic. I always told myself I would be that mom who woke up an hour before I had to get my kids up and make them a hearty breakfast every morning. While that lasted the first two weeks, I know that for me, it isn’t ideal. I’m just really not a morning person.
However, just because I don’t want to get up extra early to make them breakfast doesn’t mean they still shouldn’t be getting a wholesome breakfast that is not only quick to make, but one that they can grab and run out the door with. We all have those mornings where we are rushing out the door and I have mastered the art of quick breakfasts.
One of my kids’ favorite breakfasts are my homemade cereal bars. They are easy to make, require no baking, and are something my kids and I can make beforehand, like on the weekend or before bed one night. They take about 10 minutes to make and we just pop them in the fridge for about an hour and they are ready to eat in the mornings. Just store them in an airtight container.
The best thing about cereal bars is you can really add whatever you or your children like to them. My kids love Kellogg’s Frosted Flakes and they really add the perfect sweetness to the cereal bars.
We love pairing the Frosted Flakes with honey, dried cranberries, coconut, and chocolate. Other added ingredients that are completely delicious are peanut butter, pistachios, almonds, cinnamon, and blueberries (fresh or dried). When it’s time to make them, the kids and I head to the store and I let them choose what to put in them. It really has shown them how to have a love of food and appreciate the work that goes into it. Plus, it’s fun for the kids to try different foods to see what flavors pair well with others and they have learned all about the process of trial and error, but in a fun way.
These cereal bars have made my mornings a lot easier and my kids enjoy every bite. It’s a win-win in our house.
- 4 cups Frosted Flakes
- 1 cups peanut butter
- 1 cups honey
- 1 Tablespoons butter
- ½ cup shredded coconut
- ½ cup dark chocolate chips
- ½ cup dried cranberries
- 1 Tablespoon cinnamon
- In a large bowl mix all dried ingredients together.
- Line a square baking pan (8×8) with parchment paper so that the parchment paper hangs over on two opposite sides.
- In a small bowl add peanut butter, honey, and butter and melt. Stir.
- Once butter and honey are combined and melted, quickly pour into your bowl of dry ingredients and mix well.
- Transfer ingredients to your square pan with parchment paper, and pour ingredients on top of the parchment paper. This is crucial, as you don’t want your cereal bars to stick to the bottom of the baking dish once firm.
- Pack it tightly so ingredients stick together nicely. I like to take a drinking glass and roll it over the top pressing down as I do so.
- Stick in fridge for about an hour, then cut in squares or rectangles, depending on your preference. Store in an airtight container.
Disclaimer: This is a sponsored post. All opinions are my own.