Not anymore! This quick recipe is as simple as can be! You don’t need many ingredients and you can have a homemade, hot, delicious lunch on the table within a half hour. And let’s be honest, on a chilly fall day, a hot bowl of soup is always preferable to a cold sandwich!
- Two medium-sized onions
- Gruyere cheese
- Four slices thick sandwich bread or Melba toast (found in grocery store)
- Four cups beef broth
- 2 tablespoons butter
- salt and pepper
- Dice onions and sauté in skillet with butter and salt and pepper to taste.
- Make beef broth with bouillon cubes and add onions to broth. Taste and season with salt and pepper if needed.
- Pour soup into individual oven-proof bowls. Top with bread, then a generous slice of Gruyere cheese.
- Put in oven under broiler for about five minutes or until cheese melts.