Chili Lime Sweet Potatoes
With the new year off to a rolling start, I’ve been assessing my goals for 2015. I don’t really do New Years Resolutions, but I do like to make a few personal goals to keep myself on track for better health, better financial stability, a happier family and an overall sense of balance. To help stay on track in the health department, I’ll be sharing a few of my favorite recipes, starting with Chili Lime Sweet Potatoes.
Did your goals for 2015 include making healthier food choices, too? I hate to box myself into one diet by putting a label on it, but I pick and choose from various diets that work for me and my family.
For example, I won’t be completely vegan or vegetarian, but my goal for 2015 is to participate in Meatless Mondays as regularly as possible.
I won’t do a sugar detox, but I will make a conscience effort to avoid adding refined sugars to my homemade foods and I will actively pay attention to the added sugars in any pre-made foods I purchase.
The Paleo diet doesn’t completely work for our family, I need white potatoes. Guys, I am half Irish and I require some amount of starchy potato in my diet. But instead of butter and cream laden mashed potatoes, I’ll try for roasted with a touch of salt and pepper instead. And, I will make an effort to include more lean meats and green veggies on our dinner plates. And more bacon. Always more bacon!
Eating “clean” is easier and more realistic for my family, but again, there are some things I would rather keep in my diet, like pasta. Pasta works for us. A quick pot of pasta keeps us out of the drive through on some nights! I’ll opt for whole grains for our pastas and breads. I’ll also drink more water, manage my portions better and will shop with a conscience.
The good news is, if you did decide to pick one of the main diets I mentioned above, my recipe for Chili Lime Sweet Potatoes will work for most of them! Even if you’re doing an allergy detox diet to kick off the new year. I usually serve these roasted sweet potatoes on the side of grilled or simple roasted chicken. And by simple, I mean simple! A sprinkle of lemon pepper and a dash of salt is all I need for a quick chicken bake.
These Chili Lime Sweet Potatoes also make for an easy and filling lunch, so make a double batch. They even taste good cold – straight out of the fridge if you work in a place that doesn’t have easy access to a microwave, or if you’re on the go all day and don’t want to stop to eat.
By keeping your meals simple, you will be able to achieve whatever your dietary and nutrition goals may be for 2015. And remember to enjoy your food!
Cheers to a Happy & Healthy start to your new year!
Chili Lime Sweet Potatoes
- 1 tbsp Olive Oil
- 2 lbs sweet potatoes, peeled and diced into bite sized chunks
- 5 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp sweet smoked paprika
- 1 tsp hot smoked paprika (optional, for added kick)
- pinch of salt to taste
- pinch of pepper to taste
- 2 2 limes cut in half
- 1/2 yellow onion, sliced into half moon rings
- 3-4 roasted red peppers, sliced into strips. (you can find these in a jar near the olives. find them packed in water if possible, rather than oil.)
- small hand-full of cilantro, chopped
- optional lime wedges for serving
- Preheat oven to 425˚ and line a shallow baking sheet with foil
- In a large bowl, toss diced sweet potatoes with oil, salt, pepper, paprika and chili powders to coat. Spread the coated potatoes on the lined baking sheet.
- Bake for 20 minutes, until getting soft and starting to brown
- Remove baking sheet from over, and sprinkle onions and roasted red peppers over the potatoes. Squeeze lime halves over potatoes, onion and peppers.
- Return to the oven and bake for an additional 15 minutes, or until onions begin to brown around the edges.
- Remove to a serving dish and sprinkle chopped cilantro over the top. Serve hot and with additional lime wedges if desired.