Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links, meaning if you decide to make a purchase through my links I may earn a commission at no additional cost to you. See my disclosure for more info.
I love nothing more than a hot bowl of soup on a cold winter’s day. It has been storming here for the last couple of weeks so I decided it was time to make one of my favorite soups— tomato! It’s a soup both my kids and I enjoy, especially with a slice of gooey grilled cheese.
This tomato soup is extremely easy and quick to make, which is what I love. Plus it has a nice texture and delicious taste. You can add croutons for an extra treat, but I opted for just grilled cheese instead of the croutons.
Please note that with four of us eating, we had enough leftover for another dinner plus a little extra. You can easily make half the recipe if desired.
Best Homemade Tomato Soup
- 1 tbsp Butter
- 1 tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 clove Garlic, Minced Fine Or Grated
- 1 small Yellow onion, Finely Diced
- 3 large Carrots, peeled And Finely Diced
- 2 tbsp Tomato Paste
- 3 cans (28 Ounces Each) Whole Tomatoes
- 32 oz Chicken Broth
- 1 c Water
- 1/2 c Heavy Cream
- Salt And Pepper, to taste
- 2 tbsp Minced Fresh Parsley
- 2 tbsp Chopped Fresh Basil
- In a large pot, heat butter and oil over medium-high heat, then add onion, garlic, and carrots.
- Stir and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add tomato paste and stir it in, cooking for another 2-3 minutes.
- Add canned tomatoes with their juice, broth, and water.
- Stir together and bring to a boil, then reduce the heat, cover the pot, and simmer for 15-20 minutes, longer if you have time.
- Use a blender to puree, still leaving some texture to the tomatoes.
- Add cream, salt, pepper, parsley, and basil, and simmer for another 5 minutes.