Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links, meaning if you decide to make a purchase through my links I may earn a commission at no additional cost to you. See my disclosure for more info.
If you’re anything like me, you now have a bunch of kids at home who you’ll need to homeschool. But what do you do when you have energetic kids who want to do something outside the box? Thankfully many museums are offering a way to explore without ever having to leave your home! Virtual field trips have become a thing as of this week and I couldn’t be more onboard. It’s truly a fantastic way to connect with some of our experts and visit museums all over the United States that most will probably never get to experience in their lifetime.
We’ve put together our favorite virtual field trips that our kids’ ages 2 – 14 have thoroughly enjoyed and hope your family will, too!
1. The Monterey Bay Aquarium
This aquarium is a huge favorite of ours at Simply Real Moms. You may recognize the name from Finding Dory! While the aquarium is currently closed, they are offering 10 live cams at some of their most popular exhibits. You can view their live cameras HERE.
- Coral Reef
- Jelly Fish
- Kelp Forest
- Monterey Bay
- Moon Jelly Fish
- Open Sea
- Sea Otter
2. Nature Works Everywhere
Offering eleven virtual field trips for kids of all ages. You can view their virtual field trips HERE.
- The Secret Life of Corals: A Dominican Republic Adventure
- View from a Canoe: Exploring a Coastal Temperate Rainforest
- Journey of Water: From Colombia’s Páramo to the Kitchen Sink
- Borneo: The Symphony of the Rainforest
- Powering the Planet: Renewable Energy
- Coastal Peru: The Amazing Biodiversity of a Coastal Ecosystem
- China’s Great Forests: What the Giant Panda and Earth’s Climate Share
- The Coral Reefs of Palau: Nature’s Amazing Underwater Cities
- Wild Biomes: From America’s Rainforest to America’s Desert
- The Deserts and Grasslands of Africa
- Gardens as Models for Natural Systems
3. Yellowstone National Park
Ready to explore Yellowstone? You don’t have to wait for your trip out here. You can start exploring now by virtually touring some of the main attractions around the park. Included with each tour is additional information about visiting in person. Yellowstone is offering 7 virtual tours. You can take their virtual tour HERE.
- Mammoth Hot Springs
- Norris Geyser Basin
- Grand Canyon of the Yellowstone River
- Mud Volcano
- Fountain Paint Pot
- Upper Geyer Basin
- Yellowstone in 3D
4. Smithsonian National Museum of Natural History
A bucket list museum for me, what better way to explore this historic museum than in the comfort of your home and non-crowded. I’d list all the great exhibits, but there’s so many. Virtually walk around the museum and see for yourself! You can take a virtual tour HERE.
5. The San Diego Zoo
Living in California, this has always been the zoo to go visit. It’s always exceeded our expectations and I love that the name made a small cameo in Madagascar. The zoo is offering 11 live cams to see some of the best animals they have. You can see the live cameras HERE.
- Polar Bear
6. Farm Tours
Thanks to the American Dairy Association, they’ve broken up different farm tours for kids of all ages. You can see virtual tours HERE.
- For kids aged 4 to 9, tour from Dutch Hollow Farm.
- Kids aged 10-13, tour from Will-O-Crest Farm.
- High school kids, tour from JoBo Holsteins Farm.
7. Ellis Island
Looking for a virtual tour for the history buffs in your life? Check out this tour of Ellis Island and learn more about this immigration inspection station. Watch video HERE.
8. Access Mars
No joke, you can take a look at what’s happening on Mars and let your kids get a closer look! Watch HERE.
9. Story Time In Space
While this isn’t technically a virtual field trip, it’s definitely a really cool idea! Take a break from reading and let one of these awesome astronauts do it for you! Watch HERE.