Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links, meaning if you decide to make a purchase through my links I may earn a commission at no additional cost to you. See my disclosure for more info.
I wish I could say that I am a super amazing baker, but the truth is, I am actually horrible at it. I am getting better, but I tend to stick with the easier, less complicated route when it comes to baking. Here is my simplified version on how to make a delicious and impressive cake for the 4th of July.
What you will need:
- 2 boxes of white cake mix (told you, simplified)
- Vegetable oil
- Red and blue gel-paste food coloring (if you want to take this to the next level you can always add 3/4 cup of pureed strawberries for the red and blueberries for the blue)
- 2-16oz containers of vanilla frosting
- Preheat oven according to box of cake mix.
- Grease two- 9in round cake pans
- Mix cake mix in two separate bowls according to directions on box of cake mix.
- Add in your color to each bowl of mixed cake batter (you can use the food coloring, puree or both to get desired color)
- Pour the batter into the pans, and bake for about 25-30 minutes. (See box for exact time frames)
- Let cool for about 10 minutes, then remove from pans and cool completely.
- Trim the top and bottom layers of cake.
- Add a thick layer of frosting on top of your red cake and place blue cake on top. (about 1 1/2 cups)
- Refrigerate the cake for about 30 minutes to an hour, this will set the middle layer of frosting.
- Once frosting is set, remove from refrigerator and frost completely with remaining frosting.
- Top with sprinkles.