I will be the first to admit I am not the most techie person in the world. I didn’t get a Smartphone until a year ago—a solid four or five years after the rest of the world—and I definitely don’t take advantage of all it has to offer.
My apps basically consist of Angry Birds and Facebook. But a few months ago, I found myself in a pinch, and much to my surprise, technology came to the rescue.
When my daughter was about nine months old, we took her to Florida to visit grandma, who lives in a small, two-bedroom condo. We also live in a two-bedroom condo in a loud urban neighborhood, so she was definitely used to some noise.
But she was sleeping in a Pack-n-Play at grandma’s in a different room and the noises were different, too. We quickly discovered napping was going to be a nightmare and bedtime was no picnic, either, especially since we were sleeping in the same room as her.
I frantically called a friend and she told me to download the White Noise app immediately—and use it!
So I did, and it saved our vacation! With every kind of white noise from rain storms to a cat purring to a clothes dryer (and EVERYTHING in between), this app was just what we needed.
I set it to the “air conditioning” white noise, placed my phone on the dresser and my daughter was lulled to sleep. The white noise covered up all the background noises in the house like the TV, phone, conversations, etc. and Isla was able to sleep in peace.
At only $1.99, this app is a STEAL! Here are some of the features and benefits by the developer:
– Background audio support with iPod control integration
– AirPlay to supported devices such as Apple TV
– Retina display fully supported
– Mix multiple noises together to create new soundscapes
– Create a timed playlist of sounds and mixes
– Sleep function turns display into a digital clock. Drag up and down to adjust brightness. Swipe left and right to adjust color.
– Sound timers that slowly fade audio out so you don’t suddenly awake
– Alarms slowly fade in so you wake up feeling refreshed
– On-screen media and volume controls with support for headphones w/ remote controls and iPod controls on lock and multitask screens
– Gesture support allows swiping left or right to navigate sound collection
– Integrated help available by swiping down. To dismiss, swipe up.
– Star your favorite sounds and mixes in the catalog viewable in the favorites category.
– Settings let you adjust sound volume, balance, and pitch of sound. Auto sleep enables sleep mode after 2 minutes.
– Import new sounds from http://whitenoisemarket.com/ for free!
Create new sounds by creating mixes and adjusting each sound’s volume, balance, and pitch. Slow the crashing waves by adjusting the pitch, add a camp fire off to your right, and put crickets chirping in the distance. You create the perfect ambient soundscape!
INCLUDES 40 AMBIENT SOUNDS AND PICTURES:
Air, Airplane, Amazon, Beach, Blue Noise, Boat, Brown Noise, Car Rain, Cars, Cat Purring, Chimes, City, Clock, Clothes Dryer, Crickets, Crowd, Extreme Rain, Fan, Fireplace, Frogs, Hair Dryer, Heavy Rain, Heartbeat, Light Rain, Ocean, Pink Noise, Rain Storm, Shower, Sprinkler, Stream, Tibetan Singing Bowl, Thunder, Train, Vacuum, Violet Noise, Washer, Water, Water Drip, White Noise, Wind