So you took the plunge and bought your child an iPad or iPad Mini for Christmas this year. Well, time to charge it, then load it up with some fun, educational, FREE, apps, so it’s ready to go Christmas morning! Luckily for you, we’ve tried out some of the best educational iPad apps with kids from the ages of 2-7 years old, so you don’t have to weed out the good from the bad.
I’d like to start with my favorite educational iPad app: abc PocketPhonics Lite. Here’s a short video of it in action with my three-year-old son:
This app teaches letter sounds, letter writing and first words. There are about 20 words in the Lite version. The writing works with either your finger or stylus.
Here are the other 9 of of our favorite free educational iPad apps of 2013:
“Squiggles!” is based on Lazoo’s “Hands On! Mind On!” curriculum, developed in conjunction with top educational experts. Lazoo apps are designed to:
• build divergent thinking skills
• foster problem solving skills including implementing, evaluating, communicating, and revising creative ideas
• assist a child in becoming comfortable with uncertainty
• encourage a resilient approach to play and creative problem solving so that a child learns persistence
• support the kind of appropriate risk-taking in play and thinking that inspires creativity
• encourage an interest in, and openness to, emotion in both play and thinking
– Sounds of each letter of the word – Touch the letter
– Pronunciations of the full word
– Easy for child to use
– Professionally recorded audio for clear pronunciation .
– Tested by Parents and their kids for ease of use. Design to be used by the kids alone or with parents in an interactive session.
Funbrain Jr. is a collection of unique and vibrant games for preschoolers and kindergarteners that helps jumpstart their journey of learning. Offering five separate fun and engaging games, Funbrain Jr. introduces little learners to several important skills while they play.
Watch videos from your favorite PBS KIDS television series anytime, anywhere (in the USA). “PBS KIDS Video” features more than 1,000 videos from over a dozen top PBS KIDS television series, including Curious George, The Cat in the Hat Knows a Lot About That, Dinosaur Train, SUPER WHY!, Daniel Tiger’s Neighborhood, Sesame Street and Wild Kratts.
PLAY123 is a learning application where your kids can play with all shapes, colors and numbers of their imagination, using various functions of the pad. They can throw, draw, roll, stack, turn, and more.
Forms, shades and sounds make kids play with their senses of sight, hearing and touch in such creative ways that help their imagination run freer.
Kids can learn about shapes, colors and numbers autonomously as well as enjoying the time with the parents.
It doesn’t hit you yet?
Try PLAY123 with your kids now!
2 Learning Modules:1. Word Flashcards
2. Writing Words
• Uppercase and lowercase letters A-Z
• Letter stroke guidance animations
• Professionally recorded audio for clear pronunciation .
• Tested by Parents and their kids for ease of use. Design to be used by the kids alone or with parents in an interactive session.
•2 game plays –Pre-schooler & Kindergarten
•Beautifully designed rich, colourful, entertaining and engaging graphics
• Underwater themed with animated marine animals and plants
• Interactive game play
• High quality professionally recorded audio featuring the famous Sharon Brogden (UK)
• Fun quirky background music
• Word repetition to encourage memory building
• Your child’s very own fish tank to house their marine animals and plants!
• Option for instructions to assist with game play
• Pre-Schooler & Kindergarten Word Lists
• Saved game play with reset function
Your child will learn the following:
*Early foundations of language and numeracy
*How to recognize, read, write and pronounce upper and lower case letters
*Consonants and vowels
*Phonograms and early blending
*Early stage numbers and counting
* Fully support reading, writing, listening and even speech.
* Real human voice.
* In addition to learning to read, also support writing tutorials.
* Every letter is accompanied with a cute image and vivid 3D font.
* Very simple user-friendly interface design for kids.
* Supports both A ~ Z and a ~ z.
* Record your kids sound for review anytime.
* You can check the drawings and hear the sounds of your kids in the review page.