If you’re anything like me, you love to eat freshly grilled food in the summer. This is my all-time favorite marinade for chicken and vegetables. We marinade chicken and vegetables (in separate containers!), then make shish-kabobs on the grill all the time! So great!
There are A LOT of ingredients in this marinade. But–trust me–once you make this and eat it, you will never, ever go back to a store bought marinade. It is, quite simply, the best marinade you will ever eat.
When you finish making your marinade, marinade your meat first. Put it in a container with the marinade and refrigerate it for a few hours to get the best flavor. Make sure you put your vegetables in a separate container with marinade. The vegetables do NOT need to be in the marinade nearly as long. They just need a short time to get the full flavors. My favorite vegetables to use with chicken shish-kabobs are little onions, peppers and mushrooms. Mmmmm!
- 1 stalk fresh lemon grass
- ½ bunch fresh chopped mint
- 5 cloves of garlic
- 1 serrano pepper, sliced and minced
- 2 Tbs chopped cilantro stems
- 2 Tbs chopped ginger root
- 3 green onions, chopped
- 1-2 tsp peanut butter
- 2 Tsb brown sugar
- 1-2 Tbs coconut milk
- 1 lime- juice from it
- ¼ cup of nonfat yogurt
- 2 Tbs low-sodium soy sauce
- Slice off and discard all but the bottom 3 inches of lemon grass root.
- With a mallet or rolling pin, pound the base of the stock to release the aromatic oils.
- Combine stalk in a food processor with mint, garlic, pepper, cilantro, ginger and green onions.
- Process, using short burst-for 30 seconds.
- Add remaining ingredients and process for one minute in the food processor.